Thursday, September 18, 2014

A Teacher?! Oh for the love...

My path, like most, isn't traditional.
An honors student throughout high school, I almost failed out of undergrad. Seven years later, I found myself with an MA and a desire to teach.

Talking to friends, lovers, and family there was a clear message:
You are crazy.
You will hate it.
Why?
You are not going to like it.
You don't want to get your PhD?
So you're not done with school yet?
Middle school? High school? Really? You're sure?

I'm not sure. Are any of us sure about anything? I was sure that I was through with academia. I wanted to teach something, but I thought it was too late if I was teaching at the college level. There are way too many students that need good teachers so they can apply and go to college.

While this blog begins as an assignment for a disciplinary literacies course, I hope to continue it as my student teaching and teaching career progresses. I want it to be a space to share ideas, criticisms, joys, and frustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment